Hahn Vidal Still Life Oil Painting "Country Flowers," 1976
Margarita Hahn Vidal (German-American, born 1919)
Country Flowers, 1976
Oil painting on composite board
Signed to the lower right
Attributions to verso
Attribution plaque to frame
Document included in envelope to the verso
Purchased from Le Monde Art Gallery of Dayton, Ohio in 1981.
Margarita Hahn Vidal, known most commonly as Hahn Vidal, is recognized worldwide for her oil paintings of flowers. She was born in Hamburg, Germany in 1919. After marrying, she moved to New York, where her painting became more vibrant and she began perfecting her knife painting technique. By adding knife strokes in three stages, Vidal gives her paintings depth, texture, and highlight. The reflection of light lends each piece a distinct moodiness. She is continually inspired by gardens and floral exhibits throughout Europe, the Americas, and the Far East.
- biography from Eldred’s, courtesy of askART.com
- Item not examined outside of mounting
- Please note, if the warehouse transfer to Cincinnati option is selected by the winning bidder, the item will be available in Cincinnati for pickup after three business days after payment has been finalized.
- examined under UV light; craquelure, scuffs, accretions, and spots of discoloration lightly scattered to paint; accretions to linen spacers of frame; cracks and small chips to the gold-toned gesso accents and veneer of frame; abrasions, scratches, scuffs, and accretions to frame.
- measurements of frame; sight measures 11.5" W x 15.5" H.